8th Grade Science
Phone: 330-799-1515, ext. 51320
In this course students will explore the standards and benchmarks of science required by the State of Ohio. Students will study topics covering several areas of the scientific world by engaging in discussion, inquiry labs, research, and projects. Throughout the year the students will be preparing for two assessments which will be taken this year. The first assessment will be the Performance Based Assessment which will be taken in late February, then the students will also be required to take an End of the Year Assessment which will be given in late April.
- All school rules and policies are in effect in the classroom. They will be followed at all times. If you have any questions concerning any of these please refer to the Student Handbook, which is located on the school website, campbell.k12.oh.us
- The students will be expected to be prepared for class. Being prepared means having all necessary materials with them and assignments completed at the beginning of the class.
- Students will be expected to be in their seats when the bell rings, if you are late and do not have a pass from another teacher, you will receive a detention.
- The students will be expected to participate in all classroom and laboratory activities.
- Everyone will be expected to show respect for everyone else and their property.
- Students will be expected to keep their cell phones, iPods, and MP3 players out of the classroom. If they are being used during class time the device will be taken, and a referral will be written.
- Students will be expected to be accountable and responsible for their own work, they will not depend on others for answers or copy any other student’s work.
- The teacher will be expected to maintain an appropriate classroom culture that will lead to the success of all students.
- If you have a question, ask it!! I cannot help you in anyway if I am unaware there is a problem.
- Extra help will be available in the morning before school beginning at 7:15 A.M. on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Students can also receive extra attention during their study hall/enrichment period. Other days can be arranged, please come talk to me if this is needed.
The student’s will not have an individual textbook for this class. They will receive handouts, notes, and packets during class that will be used as their resources. The State of Ohio is moving away from hardbound textbooks and would like students instead to focus on using various multi-media sources for their information. Because of this new trend the students must be responsible for keeping track of the materials given to them.
The following list is materials that students will need throughout the year. They can bring their index cards in and leave them in my room labeled with their name.
- 2” Three Ring GREEN Hard Back Binder
- Page Dividers with Tabs (optional)
- Loose Leaf Paper
- Page Dividers with Tabs
- Pens or Pencils
- One pack of Index Cards
- Composition notebook
The color coding for each subject area is to help students stay organized throughout the year.
Absences and Makeup Work
At the end of each semester if you have TEN OR MORE unexcused absences in a semester you will not receive credit for this course for that semester. I will try and keep you informed during the course of the semester, but you must be responsible and bring your excuses in as soon as possible after an absence.
I do not accept late work unless you were absent and have an excuse. You must be responsible and turn you work in at the assigned times. You will not be permitted to go to your locked to retrieve your work. You must have it with you when you enter the room.
If you were absent you will have that same amount of time to make up any work, quizzes, or tests that you have missed. For example, if you were absent from school for two days you will have two days to make up any work that is missed. It is your responsibility to check with me and see what you missed. I will ask you once for any makeup work that needs to be turned in. If you do not have it completed you will not receive credit for it.
If you are going to be absent for more than two days I would strongly suggest that you make arrangements with your teachers beforehand or if that is not possible call the office and make arrangements to pick up your work. This will help you stay caught up with the class so you do not fall behind.
DRC- if you receive DRC as a punishment you must complete all work that is sent down. It must be returned to the DRC teacher at the end of the day. If I do not receive from the DRC teacher you will not get credit for it.
OSS- if you are suspended out of school as a punishment it is counted as an unexcused absence. You will not be permitted to make up any work from that time period
At the end of each semester your grades will be averaged. If you receive two F’s during the semester you will not receive credit for that semester.
At the end of the first and second semester you will take a semester final which will cover all the material covered during that time period. This grade will be averaged into your final semester grade.
Throughout the course of the year each student will be graded on the following things:
- In class assignments
- Laboratory exercises and write ups
There MAY be several opportunities for extra credit throughout the year. DO NOT depend on this to raise your grade. They may or may not be given depending on time and how the class is progressing.
Science Laboratory Safety Permission Slip
A permission slip of safety guidelines will be sent home and must be signed to participate in lab activities. Any student who does not turned in a signed slip will not be allowed to participate until it is returned for their own safety.
Note To Parents:
Welcome to another school year! I look forward to getting to know each of your children and to meeting all of you throughout the year. The reason for this syllabus is to ensure that you and your son or daughter are aware of what is expected in the classroom throughout the year.
It is very important that the students respect and follow the rules and regulations of the school and my classroom. Disruptive students interrupt the learning process and not only jeopardize their success, but also the success of their classmates. I will not allow any students to interfere with the education of any other student. Each child will be responsible and held accountable for his or her own actions. Should a problem arise throughout the year I will make every effort to contact you personally twice before I involve the administration, if the problem allows.
If you need to contact me in anyway please use the information listed below. I look forward to meeting all of you throughout the year.
Phone: 330-799-1515, ext. 51320
Please read over this syllabus with you child. I would then appreciate it if you would detach this bottom part and then have you and your child sign on the line. I will keep this on file throughout the school year. Thank you for taking time to read this. I look forward to helping your child advance in their education.
Parent Signature Student Signature
***All assignments and current grade can be found at any time on Progress Book. This site is an excellent way to stay informed throughout the year on your students’ progress. You will need to create a Parent Log-In account in order to access the site. Please see the Campbell website for more information and a link to Progress Book, or contact our technology department with any questions.